Saying that Lemons are a super food is an understatement.
Not only do they add abundant flavour to a variety of dishes they also have a heap of health benefits.
Personally, I first discovered lemon as a health benefit whilst I was pregnant with my 2nd child. I was told that it was great for heartburn……how ridiculous. How can such an acidic fruit be good for heartburn. When you are chewing antacids that taste like chalk in the dozens you will try anything. I was shocked when the heartburn subsided and can honestly say that every other day following that wonderful day I had lemon water to help with heartburn.
Start your day with a large glass of water with the juice of a whole, freshly-squeezed lemon. While lemons may seem acidic, they have the opposite effect on your body as it metabolises them.
Below are a few facts about lemon:
- Prevent kidney stones – Drinking half a cup of lemon juice every day raises citrate levels in the urine. Studies have shown that this could protect against kidney stones.
- Sore throat? – Mixing lemon juice with honey can alleviate the discomfort that comes with a sore throat.
- Support weight loss – The key word here is Support, you need to be realistic, if you have a healthy diet with exercise than drinking lemon will assist with weight loss. Lemon juice contains pectin which is a soluble fibre that has been shown to aide in weight loss.
- Start your day right – Forget the coffee and start your day with a luke warm cup of water and lemon juice which will stimulate your digestive track and add much needed vitamin C
- Got an itch? – Mix a little lemon juice with cornflour to make a paste for a sting
- Bad digestion? – Dr. Oz suggested a mixture of lemon juice and flax seeds in order to eliminate waste more quickly from your body.
- Balance your body’s PH – While lemons may seem quite acidic they will assist in balancing PH.
- Drink too much last night? – Lemons provide a natural strengthening agent to liver enzymes when they are too diluted.
ARE YOU CONVINCED YET?
Here’s some more just in case………..
- Are you a bleeder? – Lemon helps purify the blood and will also control a tendency to bleed
- High blood pressure? – Lemon assists in lowering high blood pressure
- A bit gross but Lemon reduces the amount of phlegm in the body
- Lemon can assist in relieving the symptoms of asthma, allergies and other respiratory problems
- Healthy Mind – Lemon nourishes the brain and nerve cells due to its potassium content.
I have a 2L jug of water on my desk at work and it has a whole lemon squeezed into it everyday. I love lemon water and feel so good after drinking it.
Have you bought your lemons yet?